- Clean the vase/container very well before putting in flower. Bacteria is the number one killer that shortens flower life.
- Angle cut stems.
- Dip flowers in florist alum quickly before putting in water. It allows flowers to absorb more water. Alum works for most flowers.
- Add flower food or floral preservative in clean water.
- Keep flowers away from ripening fruits, which generate ethylene gas. Flowers are extremely sensitive to ethylene gas, which will cause decay to happen much faster!
- Keep flowers away from heat.
- Change water frequently.
Repeat these steps everytime you change water for the flowers, and they will last longer for you!